Sunday, January 17, 2016

A little help

I had been yelled by one of the senior residents for not scrubbing in on surgeries I was repeatedly told by other residents to not scrub in on. During the middle of one surgery a nurse, who was worried my glasses would fall into a patient's open abdomen, taped my glasses to the middle of my forehead with a giant piece of surgical tape. And then I got kicked out of the OR because I didn't know the answers to the surgeon's questions. Needless to say, last Wednesday was rough. Walking out of the OR I could feel tears burning my eyes as I walked into the bathroom. After I had a good cry I went to the library to research the surgery I had just been asked to leave. I sat down at a computer, my face puffy and tear stained, closed my eyes and willed myself not to cry again. When I opened them, I saw that three of my med school buddies had pulled up chairs, literally surrounding me with friendly and understanding faces. They let me vent, made me laugh, and quickly pulled me out of the dark hole I was trying desperately not to sink into.

Last week was my first week of surgery. There were parts that were AMAZING (I seriously think I could just live in the OR), and as mentioned above, there were also some parts that were not so amazing. And it's in times like those that I'm unbelievably thankful for my med school friends. We run around the hospital, in short white coats, and every time we see one another, it's a relief. Because we know our battle buddies aren't going to pimp us, or ask us to drain anything gross, or yell at us for not doing something. Often our camaraderie manifests in dorky faces across the wards, goofy greetings as we pass each other in the stair wells, and sometimes simply being there when one of us is having a really rough day. But without these people, and those moments, I don't know how I would survive rotations. Because as I have found time and time again, those famous words ring true, "I get by with a little help from my friends."

No comments:

Post a Comment