Sunday, April 12, 2015

Here's Your Sign

As I walked down the steps of our lecture hall, the setting of all my academic battles for the past 2 years, I felt the stress melt away. I had just finished my last big exam of second year (before boards, anyway). I felt light. I felt free. (I felt tired, too. But mostly light/free.)

I smiled at my exam preceptor as I turned in the exam packet. I lightly tossed my scantron in the scantron box, watching nonchalantly as it floated down to join the others.

I walked back up the stairs, past all the poor schmucks who were still taking the test. As I left the lecture hall, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I walked down the hallway, smiling at all the tough questions I knew I had gotten right.

Self, you are so smart.

Self, you worked so hard.

Self, you really are going to be a doctor!

Self, thwack. OUCH.

Apparently, I was so caught up in the bliss of a triumphant conclusion to PBL that as I was going outside, I hit myself. In the face. With a door.

I checked to make sure that no one saw what had just happened. And went home to take a seven hour nap. And ice my face.

So, if you've ever had an encounter with a medical student, and asked yourself, "how do they not fall down more?" It's because they're too busy hitting themselves in the face. With doors. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment