Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Next to Me


I'm always thankful for the time we get to spend together. I know we don't see each other much now that I'm a country away. And I know I don't call you nearly as much as I should.

But when we are together, I'm always reminded (and humbled) by how much faith you have in me. It used to frustrate me because every time I called to tell you about some huge exam or whatever else was troubling me, you'd always immediately respond with a simple "You can do it" or "You'll get through it." I used to think that you just didn't understand whatever it was that I was going through. That it was easy for you to say that I'd get through it because there was no way you could comprehend how big "it" was. And maybe you didn't, and still won't. But I realized these past few days that it wouldn't matter to you anyway. Your response would still be the same. And it's because you have this awe inspiring, anxiety crushing faith in me. Which is something I'll never be able to thank you enough for. I can think of few gifts that matter more than the gift of a parent whole heartedly supporting their child. And that is what you have always given me.

I know our relationship hasn't always been sunshine and rainbows. We have had our fair share of highs and lows. But I've always known this to be true: that you have always and will always believe in me.

So thanks, mom. If every child had a parent who believed in them half as much as you have believed in me, the world would be a much more beautiful and loving place.


No comments:

Post a Comment