Monday, July 6, 2015

Lo siento

"Hey, have you ever heard of benzos causing GI bleeding?" I quietly asked one of the first year interns on my team during rounds this morning.

"No. Why?"

"Dr. X. just said patients on ativan are at high risk for GI bleeds."

"Are you sure he didn't say aspirin?"

"Yeah, he definitely said ativan."

"Hm. Yeah I've never heard of that. He really didn't say aspirin? He has a pretty thick accent. Maybe you misunderstood him."

"Oh no, I'm from AZ and am totally used to listening to people with thick accents," I said, half joking.

Full of third year confidence, I grabbed my phone and opened epocrates to check the adverse effects of ativan.

Later, during a lull in the morning activities, I mustered the courage to ask the attending about this baffling correlation between ativan and GI bleeds. He looked at me, puzzled and said, "no, aspirin. Aspirin causes GI bleeds."

Blank stare. Internal scream. Morgan, you arrogant ass.

"Oh. I must have misunderstood."

I caught a smile creep across the intern's face out of the the corner of my eye, just as our attending began pimping me on aspirin, and other drug classes, that are known to cause GI bleeds. Woo.

Happy Monday, folks! And, if you too were served a tasty slice of humble pie today, I hope you at least learned something from it. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment