Saturday, August 16, 2014

Patch

I guess this wouldn't be a true "medical student blog" if I didn't mention a medical show/movie that inspired me. So, I'm gonna tear off the band aid and do it. Deep breaths, everyone. Here is how Grey's Anatomy changed my life...

KIDDING! Man. That would be terrible. Okay. For real now, I just finished watching Patch Adams. I know, I know. It's the epitome of cliche. But c'mon, gang. I can't NOT write about how much I love this movie. It's just the best. 

In the light of Robin William's death, my friends and I were talking about how much we loved his movies and how we wanted to watch one in memoriam of him. Since we're all bright eyed, bushy tailed, medical students who will finish our didactic training at the school year's end, it seemed fitting to watch a movie where Robin William's plays a man who breaks the typical white coated doctor mold of his era.  Cue Patch Adams. 

My favorite line of the move is this:

"You treat a disease, you win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarantee you, you'll win, no matter what the outcome."

It is undoubtedly one of the most often quoted lines of the entire film. But it encompasses such a vital component of practicing medicine. One that I hope all of us doctor wanna-be's remember when we are out next year seeing patients, and putting all of our hard earned book smarts to good use. 

I also hope that enema bulbs are still bright red. Because they sure do make terrific clown noses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment