Sunday, November 8, 2015

Mouth to Mouth

Our COPD screening event at the local town mall was well underway. If you think people try to avoid that annoying guy at the random phone kiosk (seriously, has anyone ever bought a phone there? Ever?), then you should see 'em try to dodge a bunch of over enthusiastic medical students and residents in white coats. ;)

I had finished explaining to an older gentleman how the spirometer works and he had just taken a very deep breath and attempted to expel all of his air into the mouthpiece. He was red in the face, wheezing hard, and basically about to fall out of his chair at any moment.

Me: Sir, it's ok! Let's take a few deep breaths before you use the machine again. I don't want you to pass out! *Half jokingly*

Man: Are you kidding?! That's what I'm banking on! If I pass out, you have to give me mouth to mouth!!!

Me: Oh, yeah? That's a clever little plan. 

Man: You can't trust me, I'm a dirty old man, hah!

I continued with the screening test, to the soundtrack of the male residents' laughter. By the end of it, both my new friend and myself were red in the face - him from chronic lung disease, me from embarrassment.

Forget about kids, in my experience it's the OLD people who say the "darndest" things.

Happy Sunday, folks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment